Jump to navigation

Vol 54 No 13

Published 21st June 2013


Uganda

Tullow wins tax tussle

Heritage Oil and Gas faces a US$313 million bill after its battle with Tullow Oil in London's High Court

Tullow Oil has won its bid to recover US$313 million from Heritage Oil and Gas, following their dispute over a $434 mn. Ugandan tax bill. Tullow shared ownership of two blocks in the Lake Albert oilfield with Heritage before buying out its partner in 2010 for $1.45 billion. It paid Uganda the tax on Heritage’s behalf after it denied liability. Claiming there was no provision in its contract for capital gains tax, Heritage had paid Uganda only 30% of the total and gave a bank guarantee for the remaining 70%, pending arbitration (AC Vol 51 No 14, A taxing compromise). Tullow then sued Heritage for the outstanding sum.

End of preview - This article contains approximately 399 words.

End of preview

Subscribers: Log in now to read the complete article.

Account Holders: Log in now and use your Account Credit to buy this article. No Credit? Top up your Account now.


If you have a print subscription already, click here for a password that gives you full access to the website.

If you are logged in, but still cannot access the full text of this article, email customer services or telephone us on +44(0)1638 743633.