Although Mantashe didn't name them, we understand from other ANC sources that the contenders break down as follows:
• Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, Chairperson of the African Union Commission: due to return home in January to run for the ANC presidency;
• Baleka Mbete, Speaker of Parliament: unambiguously pro-Zuma;
• Cyril Ramaphosa, Deputy President: the successor favoured by the ruling hierarchy; backed by business and trying to broaden his appeal to grassroots;
• Zweli Mkhize, ANC Treasurer General: former Premier of KwaZulu-Natal, province with the highest ANC membership;
• Kgalema Motlanthe, former interim President of the ANC and the country: lost to Zuma in a bid for the party presidency in 2012 and has become an outspoken critic of his rule; and
• Lindiwe Sisulu, Minister for Human Settlements: former Chief of Staff in Zuma's Presidency...