Jump to navigation

Nigeria

Protests dent Tinubu’s reputation further – but neither side can claim victory

Demonstrations have continued in the northern cities of Kaduna and Kano where sentiment against the President is highest

The planned 10 days of protests in Nigerian cities starting on 1 August slowed down on Monday after at least 21 people were killed, mostly by police bullets according to local rights organisations. But the protest convenors in Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja said another round of demonstrations would begin on Wednesday.

The protests have continued in the northern cities of Kaduna and Kano where sentiment against President Bola Tinubu is highest. In Katsina, the home city of former President Muhammadu Buhari, demonstrators burned down the headquarters of the ruling All Progressives Congress on Tuesday – after removing everything of value from the building.

Police authorities say seven people died and have denied responsibility for the bloodshed. After mass demonstrations late last week were met with a tough police response, numbers of activists were down to the low hundreds in Lagos and Abuja on 5 and 6 August.

Activists were hoping to use similar tactics to those used by the Generation Z movement in Kenya. The ‘Days of Rage’ slogan was borrowed from Kenya as was the determination to have genuinely nationwide demonstrations. But they have not yet matched the scale and sophistication of the #EndSars protests against police brutality in October 2020.

Unlike Kenyan counterpart William Ruto, who appeared to have been genuinely blindsided by the scale of public anger at corruption, poor governance and the high cost of living, President Tinubu made commitments to halve his own salary and more than double the minimum wage to 70,000 naira (US$46) before the start of protests (AC Vol 65 No 16,Days of rage protests test Tinubu’s economic plans).

Meanwhile, the state security response is eerily similar to Ruto’s. Police in Nigeria said they had arrested nearly 700 people in the first two days of the protests, and accused them of armed robbery, arson and destroying property.

Tinubu has shied away from describing the protestors as ‘criminals’ but many of his political allies have been free to do so without censure. The hardline Minister of the Federal Capital Nyesom Wike, widely blamed for serial political violence in Rivers State where he was governor, dismissed the protestors as ‘terrorists’. The imposition of curfews in parts of the country has also been effective in stifling protests.

In a televised address on 4 August, Tinubu offered little more beyond promises of ‘listening and addressing the concerns of our citizens’ – none of which seems to have helped his plummeting support in Nigeria. In Kenya, Ruto’s ratings fell after he labelled the protestors as ‘criminals’ in the wake of the storming of parliament on 26 June.

It would be a mistake for Tinubu and his allies to think that the protests can be snuffed out in a few days – even with the targeted use of lethal force to deter protestors. Rallies and demonstrations are set to continue in the north and activists speak of stepping up the pressure again on Thursday.



Related Articles

Who can you call?

Another attempt at privatising fixed-line operator Nigerian Telecommunications Ltd. (Nitel) and mobile operator Mtel has failed.


Diezani in their sights

The net tightens around former Oil Minister Allison-Madueke as US prosecutors target her business partners' assets

The filing of a US$144 million assets recovery case in Houston on 14 July points to substantive progress in international investigations into tens of billions of dollars of...


Acting President Jonathan sets out his plans

From the surrealism of ‘missing president’ Umaru Yar’Adua, linked to the outside world via a ghostly voiced interview with the BBC, and with attendant disputes of legitimacy and sovereignty, Nigeria has solved the crisis in its own way, by effecting what some call a ‘democratic coup’. One by one, the elected institutions of state (the powerful governors’ forum and both houses of the National Assembly) and several non-elected regional councils met and agreed to support the handover to Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan.

Whatever the constitutional doubts that remain, the 9 February resolution by the National Assembly, citing the ‘doctrine of necessity’, to recognise Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan as Acting President was...


Buhari sets out his agenda

Against a chaotic economic backdrop, the new President promises to make government accountable and re-establish the rule of law

Popular expectations of new President Muhammadu Buhari were stratospherically high before his 29 May inauguration in Abuja – all the more so because chronic fuel shortages, increasing power...

READ FOR FREE