Jump to navigation

Egypt

Egypt

Population: 95.68 mn.
GDP: $332.79 bn.
Debt: $67.2 bn.

news from Egypt

Category: all

Found 137 articles.

Displaying 51-60 out of 137 results.

Gulf states to the rescue

Massive aid to the military-backed regime from Saudi Arabia and its allies could help dampen political tension after the ousting of President Mursi

The economy is still struggling on many fronts but some indicators look healthier, thanks largely to over US$8 billion of aid from Gulf Arab governments since the army deposed Pres...


Neither military nor Mursi

Activists from the 2011 revolution are struggling to organise a political alternative to the dominant military and its Islamist adversaries

Left-wingers and other secularists are trying to remobilise the revolutionary spirit of January 2011 and on 24 September they formed an opposition alliance, the Jebhat Tariq el Tha...


After the crisis, the crackdown

General El Sisi and his military securocrats are trying to crush the Muslim Brotherhood. The attack on Islamism will reverberate through the region

Egypt’s new rulers have set about stamping their authority on the country in the most brutal fashion, albeit with widespread domestic political and popular backing. The gener...

READ FOR FREE

Rebels with many causes

A highly diverse alliance of interest groups and political forces came together to oust the Muslim Brotherhood from power but how long can the coalition last?

Finding the right term to describe what happened in Egypt between 30 June and 3 July is a politically-loaded challenge. The fact that the army decreed the end of the rule of Presid...


The agony and the ecstasy

The military takeover in Egypt may eventually lead to fresh elections but it challenges the country's fledgling democracy. It will certainly strengthen the political roles of both ...


Dam and blast it

Cairo has backed down from threats of war over Ethiopia’s dam on the Nile but has failed to resolve any of the serious environmental issues

Egyptian Foreign Minister, Mohamed Kamel Amr, was trying to calm tension over the control of the River Nile, after a meeting his Ethiopian counterpart, Tewodros Adhanom, in Addis A...


The Nile in numbers

Some 95% of the water that Egypt relies upon comes from the Nile

Some 85% of the Nile waters originate in the Ethiopian Highlands, flowing down the Blue Nile and two smaller tributaries. The remaining 15% comes down the White Nile from the Great...


Gaffes on the Nile

Such is the level of distrust around President Mohamed Mursi’s beleaguered government that some insiders are convinced his officials deliberately misled opposition politicians abo...


Displaying 51-60 out of 137 results.